Acknowledgement: This brief summary liberally borrows from the work done in 1995 by Mike Allen, Mike Smith and others in creating the publication, “The Texas Associate of Collegiate Registrar and Admissions Officers: A Historical Perspective.” And from the work of the 1986 Historical Committee, chaired by Dana Ransom.
The Texas Associate of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers was founded in 1916 and is a voluntary and nonprofit professional educational association of cooperating collegiate level institutions. Its general purpose is to contribute to the advancement of higher education in its fullest and broadest implications. The specific purposes are to advance professionally the work and positions in the offices of admissions, records and registration and other closely related functions within institutions of higher learning.
TACRAO has always been an active organization that has addressed the concerns of its members and steadily grown in the extent of its activities during the years. It is hoped that the material contained in this brief summary of our history will give today’s members a sense of belonging to an organization that has made significant contributions to its members and their institutions, to the students of those institutions, and generally to higher education in Texas.
December 28, 1916, the Texas Branch of the American Associate of Collegiate Registrars is formally organized.
2nd – 6th
MILESTONE: First Annual Institute is held November 11-12, 1929, in the Education Building at the University of Texas at Austin, University of Texas Registrar E. J. Mathews presided. Topics included Pre-Registration and Freshman Orientation, Transcripts, and Permanent Records. At the conclusion of the institute it was decided to discontinue meeting in the spring with the Texas Associate of Colleges and to meet instead in the fall each year.
MILESTONE: On October 30, 1937, the name of the organization was changed to The Texas Association of Collegiate Registrars.
MILESTONE: The 1942 convention was cancelled due to World War II.
MILESTONE: The 1943 convention was not held.
MILESTONE:On November 19, 1959, the name of the organization was changed to The Texas Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers.
Copyright © 2021 TEXAS ASSOCIATION OF COLLEGIATE REGISTRARS AND ADMISSIONS OFFICERS - All Rights Reserved.